Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day

After the torrential rain on Friday night, the weather shaped up and Sunday was very nice for Father's Day. I signed up this year to run a 5-mile Dad's Day run that is held at a local school one block from my house. I had toyed with the idea of running the Mohican 100 but was glad I didn't given the amount of rain we got just before the start of the Mohican race. Of course, for people who like to run in mud (not me), the Mohican trail course would have been ideal.

The Dad's Day run is pretty cool. Lots of kids with their Dads. Before the race, there was a moment of silence for all of the Dads that couldn't be there. I thought about my Dad, who passed away in February of 2005. He was not a runner and scoffed at the idea of anyone who formally exercised. Of course, he was a farmer so, to him, if you just threw around a few hay bales, etc., why do you need to exercise? He was in great shape except for this little problem called emphysema, that finally got the best of him. As runners, functioning lungs is something we take for granted. You don't realize how precious they are until they are compromised.

I finished the race in no record speed. Every racer received a tie for Dad after crossing the finish line. A nice touch, even though I didn't have a Dad to give mine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment